Thursday, November 18, 2010

Twisted Thanks and Thanksgiving Facts

          Thanksgiving is coming around the corner and while researching I decided to use Google Knol as a resource.  Thanksgiving is  a holiday celebrated all over America but there are a few things that surprise people.  I love the cranberry sauce that is used for the Turkey stuffing, but Native Americans did not introduce this.  Thanksgiving was set over the course of three days on the first time, but there was only one initial feast. The feast we have is much larger than we have, and the turkey we eat, most likely domesticated turkey, is not what the Pilgrims tasted. Actually, they probably didn't cook the birds in the same  way, but anyway, they ate wild turkeys. The wishbone of a turkey is considered good luck during a ritual in Thanksgiving.  Families that live in the west often substitute turkey for crabs, but  a majority eats both. 
          One tradition that is significant to many families in America is the ritual of Parched Corn. It is a very simple ritual but has an elaborate history. Basically,  each member of the family gets three kernels of parched corn, which is put on the corner of their plate. That's what the Plymouth Pilgrims had to eat during their first winter.   Each member must say three things they are thankful for, no repeats, and they go around the table. After each person has taken one turn giving their thanks, the family eats one kernel. This brings us to the Bookworm's Apple section. The  spotlight is on a Thanksgiving book. I'll  review a book, Thanksgiving on Thursday.  Its written by Mary Pope Osborne, and it is very "kiddish" but it is informative and I recall liking it in second grade.  Actually I'll do another book because I feel spontaneous. It's called  Baby Animals and it's a picture book. I hope you like it, because it is probably not on your reading list.